You can have a great time in Kokomo without even spending a dime. Here are 9 things to do this summer – absolutely free!
- Learn about Kokomo and Indiana’s rich automotive history
Visit the Elwood Haynes Museum to learn about the inventor of the first commercially successful gasoline-powered automobile (Haynes was from Kokomo.) Also, tour the Indiana Historical Society’s History on Wheels traveling auto exhibit which will be on display at the Haynes Apperson Festival on July 4-6, 2019.
- Experience free live music all summer long
Some options include Kokomo Park Band concerts in Highland Park, Kokomo’s summer concert series in Foster Park, and Music at the Fountain in Greentown. Bring a lawn chair and enjoy an evening under the stars!
- Get wet and wild with water spray days
Cool off with an epic slip-and-slide in various city parks. Find a list of all water spray days here.
- Have a picnic in Highland Park
Grab food from a local restaurant or pack your own. Enjoy lunch in a scenic setting, near playgrounds, Kokomo Creek, and local attractions – including Old Ben and Giant Sycamore Stump.
- Military get free admission at the Seiberling Mansion (Howard County Museum)
As a participating Blue Star Museum, active duty military personnel and their families get free admission through Labor Day, September 2, 2019. Military ID is required. Learn more here.
- Attend local festivals, fairs and parades
There’s tons of free fun to be had at these upcoming events!
• Strawberry Festival – June 7, 2019 in downtown Kokomo
• Haynes Apperson Festival – July 4-6, 2019 in Foster Park (Parade is July 6th at 2 pm with fireworks that night at dark)
• Howard County 4-H Fair – July 8-13, 2019 at Howard County Fairgrounds in Greentown
- Hit the trails
Go for a family bike ride or walk on the Industrial Heritage Trail or Walk of Excellence. The city will be starting a bike share program this summer, with free
bike rentals in downtown. Get an interactive trail map here.
- Kids can join the Recreation Adventure Program
Arts and crafts, games, storytelling, special events, picnics, sports and physical fitness are in store for kids this summer at local Kokomo parks. The program is free, but crafts are $1. Learn more here.
- Check out what’s new in downtown on First Fridays
Everyone is welcome to attend this monthly free, arts-based open house in downtown Kokomo with fun-themed family activities, live music, and most shops open until 9:00 pm.
Bonus! Kokomo Speedway is offering a special racing night on August 21, 2019 with free general admission to kick off Sprint Car Smackdown weekend. Learn more here.
There are also dozens of free events happening all summer throughout Kokomo. For a complete list, check out our community calendar.