The sound of jet engines will fill the skies of north central Indiana as the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds take part in the Grissom Air & Space Expo on Sept. 7 and 8.
The Thunderbirds are the Air Force’s premier aerial demonstration team and will be joined by other military and civilian aviation acts for the two-day expo which will draw tens of thousands people. The event will be the first air show-type event held at Grissom since 2003.
We’ve got 7 things you need to know to help you make the most of the expo.
1. The air show will be held at Grissom Air Reserve Base located 15 miles north of Kokomo. Get directions here.
2. Event will also feature the U.S. Army Golden Knights, along with a host of other flyers, demonstrations, and static displays including an F-16 Fighting Falcon demonstration.
3. Gates will open at 8:30 a.m. and close at 5 p.m. both days. Flying will start at approximately 11 a.m.
4. Admission and parking are FREE. Limited tickets can be purchased for reserved seating areas near the beer garden (while they last.) Find ticket info here.
5. Be prepared for security checkpoints and search areas. Visitors are limited to the items they can bring. See the approved items list here.
6. Plan ahead and be prepared for traffic and construction on U.S. 31. There are currently lane closures due to a planned roadwork project on U.S. 31 between Kokomo and State Road 18 (just south of Grissom Air Reserve Base.) Both northbound and southbound lanes are impacted. Find out more here.
7. Planning to stay overnight? Find nearby hotel information here.